OSHA Announces New Members Selected to the National Advisory Committee
OSHA has announced 12 new members to serve on the National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH). The members, four of whom were designated by the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS), represent occupational health, occupational safety, labor, management, and public interests.
NACOSH advises, consults with, and makes recommendations to the Secretaries of Labor, and Health and Human Services on matters relating to the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act of 1970 including regulatory, research, compliance assistance and enforcement issues.
The committee holds at least two meetings per year, which are open to the public.
The newly appointed members include the following.
Occupational Health Representatives:
- Patricia Bertsche, Ph.D., Occupational Health & Wellness Consultant, PKB Consulting, LLC (HHS Designee); appointed to a two-year term
- John Lambeth, CIH, CSP, Director, Safety and Health, AFL-CIO (HHS Designee); appointed to a one-year term
Occupational Safety Representatives:
- Michael Belcher, CSP, President, SafetyPro, LLC; appointed to a two-year term
- Kelli Smith, Occupational Health Director, Cummins, Inc.; appointed to a one-year term
- Robyn Robbins, Director, Occupational Safety and Health, United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW) International Union; appointed to a one-year term
- Steven Sallman, Safety and Health Specialist, Safety & Environment Department, United Steelworkers (USW); appointed to a two-year term
- Amy Harper, Deputy Director, National Safety Council; appointed to a one-year term
- William Walkowiak, Director, Occupational Safety Policy and Programs, Office of the Deputy Assistant to the Air Force; appointed to a two-year term
- Mark Friend, CSP, Professor & Interim Dean, School of Graduate Studies, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University; appointed to a one-year term
- Cynthia Lewis, M.S.P.H., ASP, Director, Gulf Coast Safety Institute (HHS Designee); appointed to two-year term
- Andrew Perkins, CIH, CSP, Senior Industrial Hygienist, Alabama Power Company (HHS Designee); appointed to a one-year term
- Anne Soiza, Assistant Director, Washington Department of Labor and Industries, Division of Occupational Safety and Health. The Secretary also appointed Ms. Soiza to chair the Committee; appointed to a two-year term.
NACOSH’s duties are solely advisory and consultative. NACOSH’s advice will help the Secretary of Labor and HHS Secretary in terms of providing substantive input on workplace safety and health issues; ideas to reduce worker deaths, injuries and illnesses; and feedback on OSHA and HHS initiatives to improve worker safety and health.